The last few days have been such wonderful days and easy nights. I know I have just jinxed myself and everything will hit the fan tomorrow, but for now I am going to bask in the cool breezes that are blowing my wind chimes and relish in the fact that I have a mostly clean house, school work caught up, and 2 kids asleep in bed. Truth be told this is such a rare moment that I must mark it on the calendar, or this blog. The other day I mentioned this blog to some friends at work as they were asking me about my delicious lunch, recipe to come later. They wondered when I could possible have time to write. To be honest, it’s not every night. But since I have dinner done in short order when I get home, I have more time for me, and writing this blog is a kid of therapy.
So about that yummy lunch. It was left overs from the dinner the night before. Chicken Taco Bowls. I’m pretty sure I stumbled upon the recipe on Pinterest or Ziplist, not sure. Either way it’s on a website called Budget Bytes. She posts recipes that are budget friendly- awesome in my book. This is a slow cooker recipe that is not only super easy and delicious, but apparently gluten free. (I make no promises, but check the ingredients and you tell me!) So here’s the yummy recipe for my fiends at work and you too!
- 1½ lbs. chicken breasts
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- ½ lb. (8 oz.) frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp cumin
- ½ Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- to taste cracked pepper
- 2 cups dry rice
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar
- ½ bunch cilantro (optional)
- Add everything except the rice, cheese, and cilantro to the slow cooker along with ¼ cup of water (for good measure). Give everything a good stir and make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture.
- Secure the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Near the end of the cooking time, cook the two cups of rice according to the package directions (Bring the rice and 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot with a lid in place, as soon as it reaches a boil, reduced the heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving).
- After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker. Stir with a fork to shred the chicken (it should be super tender and will shred easily). Build the taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.
Put everything but the rice, cheese, and cilantro in the freezer bag. When you’re ready for this bag of deliciousness, thaw and pour entire bag into the slow cooker for about 8 hours. Shred the chicken and assemble your taco bowls.